When you are moving out of a home or apartment, cleaning is an important part of the process, both for the home you are leaving and the belongings that will be taken with you. With everything packed up, it is easy to reach all the hidden locations obstructed by furniture, clothing, or other belongings, as well as fixtures and appliances that are difficult to clean while in use. Here are 12 key items that you should consider cleaning before you move:
- Bedding and linens – It may take some time at your new home before everything is unpacked and usable, so it is important to clean as many blankets, comforters, sheets, towels, and other linens as possible beforehand.
- Drapes and curtains – Whether you are taking them with you or leaving them behind, before a move is the perfect time to clean drapes, curtains, blinds, and other window dressings that receive sparse attention.
- Throw rugs and area rugs – The last thing you want in your new home is unnecessary dust and dirt, so it is a good idea to thoroughly clean area rugs, throw rugs, and mats before packing them.
- Furniture – Before you move them, give couches, chairs, bedding, tables, and other furniture a thorough deep cleaning so that there is less to do while setting up your new home.
- Refrigerators and freezers – Once food can be safely removed, freezers and refrigerators should be defrosted, then cleaned with vinegar and baking soda or a gentle cleaner to leave them fresh and clean. Be sure to prop open the doors to prevent mildew.
- Stoves and appliances – Stoves, ovens, microwaves, and grills should be thoroughly cleaned and degreased to make them clean and safe for the next occupants or your new home.
- Counters and cabinets – It is often difficult to clean counters and cabinets when they are in use and fully stocked, so once everything has been packed up and removed, give them a final cleaning to remove any remaining dust and debris.
- Carpets – If your old home has carpeting, a professional deep cleaning will make a great first impression for the new occupants while removing any stains or odors that may have accumulated over the years.
- Bathrooms – Once all your belongings have been removed and there is space to work, thoroughly clean the bathrooms, focusing on cabinets, counters, sinks, tubs, showers, and toilets.
- Doors and windows – With all the furniture out of the way, now is the perfect time to clean the windows and doors, removing smudges, fingerprints, oils, and grease.
- Switches, outlet covers, and door hardware – Anything that is handled daily, like switches, doorknobs, handles, or drawer pulls can collect plenty of grease and dirt. Leave them clean and shiny with a thorough scrubbing.
- Floors, walls, and baseboards – Once your home is empty, do one final cleaning focusing on anything that may have been missed during the hectic moving process. Do a final sweeping and mopping of the floors, remove nails or hangers from the walls, wipe the walls down, and dust the baseboards, window sills, and trim.
Local & Long-Distance Moving Services in Charlotte, NC
At NetMOVE, we understand that moving can be an extremely busy and hectic process. Our team of professional movers can make your job easier and leave you with more time for cleaning, planning, and organizing your move. We offer local and long-distance moving services throughout Charlotte, Concord, Gastonia, and the surrounding areas.
Give us a call today at 704-323-4056 or contact us online to schedule moving services in the Charlotte area!